A mutually rewarding experience
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
EUROPE MGS MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY MANAGER
As part of Mars Global Services (MGS), MGS Laboratories supports MGS’ mission to deliver value and insights through skill, scale and technology, equipping the business with a viable, assured laboratory network that guarantees access to laboratory data we can trust to take supply chain decisions with confidence.
Within MGS Laboratories, we are building a new dedicated microbiology laboratory facility at our Veghel Chocolate manufacturing site. The lab will provide microbiology testing, along with additional specialized microbiology consultancy expertise and governance of Mars’ global internal & external laboratory network on behalf of our Confectionery, Petcare and Food segments across the Europe region.
Reporting to the Europe Mars Global Service (MGS) Microbiology Laboratory Manager, the Job holder is accountable for establishing and leading the Operations of a brand new Microbiology Regional Laboratory.
This includes the following:
- Recruit, on-board, engage, develop and maximize performance of a team of Microbiology Lab Technicians.
- Implement lab testing operations and standardized test methods and ensure the delivery of reliable and on-time testing microbiology testing results, in routine scenario and during escalations
The key responsibilities would be:
• Operational Leadership
- Establish the new Europe Microbiology Regional Laboratory operations.
- Implement standardized test methods.
- Lead the Regional Laboratory operations, ensuring performance against identified service metrics (quality, timeliness, cost effectiveness) and compliance to internal and external Quality Standards (ISO 17025, Mars Quality Management Process, Mars Quality Laboratory Standard) and local regulatory requirements.
- Plan the activity and adjust the lab testing capacity to business needs and ensure the continuity of laboratory service provision at all times.
- Manage nonconformances, corrective/preventative actions, and continuous improvement.
- Manage the equipment and laboratory maintenance program.
- Ensure procedures related to Quality, Health & Safety and Environment are in place and respected at any time.
- Act as a technical microbiology lab auditor in the Europe region.
• People Leadership
- Build an effective team of 10 direct reports.
- Recruit, on-board, engage and develop the Europe Regional Microbiology Lab Technicians.
- Ensure lab technicians competency.
Job Qualifications required are:
- Degree or diploma in a science based program or equivalent level of experience
- Knowledge of microbiology food testing techniques
- Experience in people management in a laboratory environment
- Experience of budget management (ideally)
- Work experience in an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory (ideally) or in a science based industry
- Experience in working in a function where quality, timeliness and cost-effectiveness are key drivers.
- Excellent communication skill
- Fluent in Dutch and English
- Ability to work under pressure, analyze and manage unexpected situations
- Up to 20% business travel in the region
Please apply via the link.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.